Professional Development Workshops
Strategic Planning Workshop
Workshop Facilitator: Terry Coyes, Principal Consultant, Coyes & Associates
Principles and concepts that have positive impacts on strategic economic development planning and implementation were presented for discussion, including:
- The ‘5 Ws’ of strategic economic development planning
- The 9 steps of the strategic planning process
- Creating a ‘plan for the plan’
- The key elements of the strategic plan, and the linkage between each of the elements
- Implementation of the plan – how to move from planning to action
- The role of the EDO as a key participant in the various phases of both the planning and implementation processes
- The interconnectedness of the economic development initiatives implemented as a result of the strategic planning process.
The workshop adjourned with each participant creating a strategic economic development action plan and schedule to use in their respective community/company.
Designation & Leasing Process for Band Lands Workshop
Workshop Facilitator: Darrell Loyer, NALMA
The Designation and Leasing Process for Band Lands provided participants an introduction to six key stages: the designation; the pre-lease; the lease; pre-construction; construction and the post-construction stages. Participants were introduced to codes, standards and guidelines of good practice, partnerships, surrenders and fiduciary duty, along with technical definitions and by-laws subject to First Nation communities.